27 March, 2006

Patrick's Beautiful Babies

This link is for comments upon Patrick's works posted to Panpal

1 Comments:

Blogger Sinclair said...

Although there are aspects of each work that I rather like, I mightn't comment upon all of them at present, but rather those that set the synapses firing at the quickest rate.

"You Look Like David Bowie"

I really quite like this one, the thick dirty black lines with pencil behind, the noire comic book aesthetic. I would like to see drawings of this ilk worked together into a graphic novel of some sort, or at least a collection of panels with captions or dialogue. Reminds me of Lichtenstein, but I like the feel of this one better.

"The Lunch Crowd."

This looks to me like perhaps a sketch drawn at work on lunch break. The composition is rather too haphazard in my opinion, but I like the style of each object with the wobbly lines and strange, flattened perspective. I think that each object could potentially stand on its own a la the dumpster Teamsquad shirt. I'd like to see arrangements given suggestive captions or scientific taxonomical appellations.

Chloe ad in ink

I like the circles in her cheeks. I'd like to see this technique pushed further. I also think the addition of color might be nice...watercolors or gouache...could give her a strange psychedelic aspect.

Haggis on Whey/Some dude from Atlantic Monthly

I like these because they're not quite as posed as some of the fashion photographs. I'd like to see a series done, perhaps of famous people, or people from a certain subgroup, i.e. farmworkers. I think this could be a source of inspiration and also serve to strengthen the power of each individual image. See Gerhard Richter's portrait series in black and white.

Something needed to go between...

Queen. Why not draw continue to draw the feet on and see what happens?

"A first attempt with acrylics"

I feel the real evocation of a world here. I think it would be interesting to create a series in the same style and write a story that goes along....gives a children's book feeling....kind of Dargeresque....who inhabits this place?

"Mullet"

A thoroughly flattering self portrait. I really like the ink work here. Your neck's too fat, but I want to see more.

"Snakes"

I like this one, particularly where the colors intersect. I think it might be interesting if the arrangement of snakes was more suggestive, i.e., is it a plant? a bundle of rope? aah, snakes. How might other animals be arranged in similar configurations?

Alrighty then, there be some comments. I'd be interested in any response to them. I hope that you find them stimulating, if not in line with your own thinking.

3/27/2006 9:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home